Friday 23 June 2017

Me Made of the Month - June 2017


I've decided to start another new series on here about my favourite me made make each month, called (rather unoriginally!) Me Made of the Month. This might be the garment I've worn the most in the month, or my favourite outfit, or just a handmade item of clothing that I've really loved wearing. I'm starting with the Deer and Doe Belladonne dress. We got some unusually hot weather this month, and it was exactly the right time to throw on a summer dress. I don't wear that many dresses, and so I've only made a couple (even though I love them) but I loved wearing this so much that I'd like to wear them more regularly.


I  really love this dress, and one of the reasons is that there are so many lovely details. I really love the pockets and the pleats at the waist. I also really like the darts, the design of the dress on a whole is so lovely. I also love this dress for a more emotional reason - this was my first proper handmade garment. It was the first item of clothing that I made myself, over a year ago, and without it I don't think I'd be at the stage in my sewing that I am now.


The most special thing about the design of this dress is definitely the back. It's so gorgeous! I love the idea of having a cut-out in the back, and it's something that other people always pick out too. The fabric, in case you were wondering, is this Robert Kaufman chambray from The Village Haberdashery. I love making clothes from chambray, and this one was perfect for this dress.


7 comments:

  1. lovely dress - the back detail really makes it

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute. Good job.

    I used to never wear dresses unless there was an occasion where I had to dress up but I discovered only a few years ago that dresses are actually more comfortable in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely for your first hand made garment. I can remember my first dress when I was about the same age and I have been sewing ever since. Keep going, you have so much talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute! I have made this pattern and I adore it. The back cut out is so fun. I need to photograph mine. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm amazed that this is your first dress - it's a beautiful and sophisticated garment! You have good taste in patterns and fabric too.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely dress!! I can see why you would want to wear it so much! I would too. Dresses are so easy to wear and I think they are fun to make as well. Your sewing looks great!

    ReplyDelete