Saturday 10 June 2017

Mustard and Navy Blouse


I often feel like this, but I think that this is one of my favourite things I've ever made! I love everything about it - the pattern, the style, the fabric... The fabric is from Frou - Frou, a wonderful Parisian fabric shop. You can find a review of it here, where I've posted about the fabrics that I bought. One of the things that I'm most proud of in this garment is the fact that I drafted the pattern myself. While I love the endless array of dressmaking patterns that there are, sometimes only you can draw up  exactly what's in your mind. This is one of the reasons I love pattern hacks. For this top, I designed the pattern myself. Not only does it fit well, but it is exactly what I dreamed of and it feels like a great achievement for me!


The construction of the blouse included both challenging and simple techniques. I decided to make a toile first, as I made the pattern up slightly as I went along. The toile enabled me to change the seam allowances slightly, add a seam in the centre back, and make the top slightly longer. I really love the proportions of this top, from the slightly cropped hemline to the 3/4 length sleeves.



Onto the best part... the zip! I absolutely love navy and mustard together, and as soon as I saw the zip I knew it would be perfect. I also have some mustard denim which I'd like to make into a skirt to go with this top... On my toile, I didn't put a seam in the back, and used these instructions to create an exposed zipper. However, despite the fact that I'd sewn one before, I wasn't fully happy with how neatly it went in. I decided to add the seam in the back to make it neater, and also slightly easier to sew. One of the things that I love in garments are the details both inside and out. The neckline in this top is finished with a facing, which I absolutely love. Facings along zips aren't the easiest things to sew, but once you've done several they become much easier, and I love how neat it looks inside.


You can see a better view of the back of the top here. I love that zip! This top was a delight to sew, I love the style and am already planning more (including a similar one for my mum!). It's when you create something like this that you know exactly why you sew - no ready to wear shop could sell something that is so me.


7 comments:

  1. Super cute! It's always such a great feeling when you draft something and it *fits*. Especially with sleeves and a zipper! The facing with the zipper sounds really interesting--what does it look like inside/what construction method do you use? (Or do you make it up as you go along like I do?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say a little bit of following instructions from other patterns I've made an a little bit of making it up! Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Your top looks awesome - well done on drafting it yourself! And that mustard zip is really cute too, it's so nice to be able to add details like this that are a little different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely top. I really like the contrasting zip. You are really talented to have drafted your own pattern so successfully

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow you're so talented. The top is really pretty and looks very comfortable :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! I love mustard and navy together too. I like the 3/4 length sleeves on this, I bet you get loads of wear out of it!

    ReplyDelete