Tuesday 27 June 2017

Mustard Button-Up Skirt


I have been completely obsessed with the colour combination of mustard and navy at the moment, so as you can imagine this outfit made me squeal with delight when I put it on! The skirt is my latest handmade garment, and I absolutely love it! The fabric is from Frou - Frou, you might recognise it from this post. It's a really lovely mustard denim (something that I have been looking for for a while). I knew that I wanted to make a skirt - although I would love a Cleo in it too! - but I wasn't sure what type of skirt. I hesitated between choosing one with a fly or not, but I love the classic silhouette of button-up skirts so much, and that was what I opted for.


The pattern I drafted again myself, but not from scratch. I used the base of a different skirt pattern to start with and then altered it (and there was much altering!) from there. The main things that I did to make the skirt fit me was to pin the side seams so that they follow my shape exactly, and to sew pin and sew the waistband to me too. One of the things I love about sewing is that you can create a garment exactly for you. I haven't completely gotten to grasps with fitting patterns yet, as it's a very deep subject, but I am happy to have browsed the surface, and each garment made is another learning step.


The skirt was a really fun sew, although I did concentrate a lot on the fit, which meant it took longer to make. The length of projects doesn't worry me much though, as I'm lucky enough to have lots of time to sew. I guess I'll have to make all my in-depth projects now before I'm longing to whiz up only quick tops! The main thing I was worried about was wether or not I would be able to sit down in the skirt if the pencil shape was maintained, but I am happy to report that walking, jumping and sitting can all be done very comfortably in it! 


The buttons were probably the hardest technique on the skirt. Button holes don't worry me too much as I have sewn quite a few, but the first one is alway scary! My favourite part of the skirt is definitely this ribbon which is hiding inside the hem. I am a big fan of small details, such as double rows of stitching, contrast pockets and facings. This ribbon was the perfect accent to the skirt, and sticks to my navy - mustard theme that I can't seem to get enough of! (Another similarly colour-coded project is on the way...). I love how it's a detail that only I know is there, and every time I put the skirt on I can see it and smile.

10 comments:

  1. I love your skirt! I like that mustard color a lot even though I don't have many clothes that color myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great colour! I love this skirt with the breton stripe top, it's a great combination. I just made some sunshine yellow culottes and have worn them lots already. The inside ribbon detail is a nice touch too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very nice skirt. I quite agree about hidden details. I love to know that a nice piece of binding or ribbon is hidden inside neatening everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What pattern did you use? It looks like the Colette Beignet, but as I've been toying with the idea of making a button-front skirt for a while, I'd love to know about other options that might be out there. Navy and mustard is always a winning combination in my book, and I have a soft spot for ribbon used as a finishing detail. Great skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I based it slightly from a different pattern that I have and mainly self drafted it, but I think that the Colette beignet is a pretty similar pattern.

      Delete
  5. like the contrast of the shiny silver buttons with the gold-mustard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I love your skirt and the hem detail. You are making things so well. When I was young I rushed stuff and then wished I had done it properly so Bravo to you. You can visit my blog too. www.joveryday19.blogspot.co.uk I don't always sew sometimes I knit and crochet myself clothes too. I have looved reading back over your previous posts too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pure perfect! I also love this colour combo, you have made it so elegant and chic :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute! The little details are the best.

    ReplyDelete