Tuesday 9 May 2017

Burnt Orange Cleo


I've wanted to make another dungaree dress for a while, and I was on the lookout for some needlecord. I originally wanted some aubergine needlecord, but when I found this burnt orange colour I knew it would be perfect! I did also come away with some aubergine/bordeaux needlecord, but for a different project which will also hopefully be finished soon. One of the things I love about this fabric is the colour, I haven't really seen anything quite like it. I'm really happy with the fit of my Cleo dress, and I love the centre front seam and the pocket. I decided to only use one pocket, on the front, but next time ( because there will definitely be a next time!) I'd like to put the two pockets on the back on too.


It was the first time I've sewed with needlecord, but I found it relatively easy, and Tilly and the Buttons have got some top tips for sewing with corduroy on their blog. My main tip is to press very little - I hardly used the iron at all for this project (I left the facings un-interfaced) but did use some steam. The facings are one of the things that I love about the pattern, they not only stabilise the top and make hemming easier, but they also make the dress seem so much more luxurious, a bit like if it was properly lined only a much easier and less time consuming version.


This is another make that ticks all the boxes, and like everyone else I love the cleo pattern! It was really quick to make, and I'm already planning more versions... I'd love one in a black denim or maybe a light denim with a contrast pocket!

4 comments:

  1. It's a fabulous dress! It suits you to a T. What I wouldn't have given for a dress exactly like this when I was a teen and at Uni! I love the colour so much. Great job, you're really talented. Poppy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really love the colour too.

      Delete
  2. This looks brilliant.
    I still need to finish my Cleo - it's been half made for a few months now ; (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you finish it soon! It's such a great pattern to wear.

      Delete