Tuesday, 20 February 2018

Marigold Trousers for Spring


In the hope that spring will someday return, I have made myself a pair of rather lovely trousers! I used this gorgeous cotton fabric and the Tilly and the Buttons Marigold to make these. It was my first time using the Marigold pattern, but they were really easy to make. They were a lovely breather project while working on my anorak, and I have since already made another pair! They are also my first make as part of the Fabric Fox Creatives team, which I'm very excited about.  Do head over to their blog to read all about them (spoiler: I love them!).


Monday, 12 February 2018

Another Pair of Pineapple Trousers


Although I'm not sure there is a limit to the number of pineapple garments a single person can have in their wardrobe, I am pretty sure that a single pair of pineapple trousers is enough. (Until, of course, they get worn literally to death, in which case it is perfectly acceptable to make another pair.) Because of this, I would like to justify making another pair of pineapple trousers so soon: they are not for me! I currently have two items of pineapple fabric clothing in my wardrobe - my top and my trousers - both of which I wore a lot during the summer. The theme has clearly caught on, for in the John Lewis post-christmas fabric sale, my sister spotted this fabric and asked me to make her a pair of trousers! So our household currently has a total of three pineapple items of clothing and counting.


I do genuinely enjoy making clothes for others, especially speedy projects. The Tilly and the Buttons Marigold trousers are perfect to make for others as they really do not take long at all. They are also quite forgiving, in other words the fitting isn't as crucial as a lot of other garments. I have made a few things for my sister in the past, including pyjamas and a cushion, but no clothing designed to be worn outside. It was quite nerve-wracking making these, as it always is when making clothes for others.

I made a couple of adjustments, as requested, the first of which was shortening the crotch. When the trousers were tried on at the end, the crotch seam hung very low. Although it is supposed to be fairly low, my sister is slightly smaller than the smallest size of the pattern (especially when it came to the length). Luckily, I was able to solve this quite easily by unpicking the waistband and sewing it back on about 1.5" lower. She is still able to put her hands in the pockets, one of the benefits of having such big, deep pockets. I suppose I should have done a toile, but that would have defeated the point of making something quick and easy! I will also know for next time to shorten the pattern before cutting the fabric. It certainly isn't a noticeable adjustment though, and I'm pleased to have been able to save it so easily.


Apart from shortening the trousers, the only other adjustment that I made was adding an elastic casing at the bottom. I have the same look on my trousers, and it was really simple to do; I just added a casing of about 1" in depth, and then put elastic through it in the same way that the waistband is done. I am so happy with these and relived that the wearer likes them too! She has already worn them several times and is very pleased with them. I doubt we will ever wear our pineapple trousers together at the same time, but there is something quite nice about having almost matching pairs!

Tuesday, 6 February 2018

Sashiko Top



This top has been a long time in the making, and I'm so happy to finally have it photographed so I can share it! A while ago I discovered Sashiko, which is a Japanese sewing technique, and was completely intrigued with the intricacy and the beauty of the designs. There are lots of different videos and other information about it (I found this quite helpful), I would really recommend having a read about it as it's really interesting. I decided to embroider a Sashiko design onto blue jersey, as I really like the traditional navy and white design. Sashiko is supposed to be embroidered onto a woven fabric, and I did have a few difficulties at first using a stretchy fabric, but once I got used to it it really wasn't that difficult.


I started this top in November, and sat doing the embroidery throughout November and December of last year. I like having something to do while watching television in the evenings, and this project (along with this one) was made by the lovely warm fires winter evenings! Before I drew on my design, I cut out the pattern pieces. I used my well-loved and used Linden sweatshirt pattern. I drew my design onto the front bodice using a chalk pen. Although it took a while to draw and much longer to stitch, but was definitely worth it!


Once the design was all stitched, I sewed up the jumper as normal, which took about forty-five minutes - a shockingly short amount of time compared to how long the embroidery took! I really love the finished jumper. It was ready just in time for Christmas and I wore it with this skirt on Christmas day. The sleeves are 3/4 length, and it is cropped. I really like the length, although the fabric is quite thin so it can't be worn without a thermal underneath at this time of year! I have since seen this Linden hack which also has a little bit of Sashiko, and I now would love to make a jumper dress - although it might have to be a project for next Autumn now. I'm so pleased with this, it was a slight gamble as I've never done Sashiko before (and it's a lot of work for something that doesn't look good at the end!) but it was definitely a gamble that payed off.